Friday, September 7, 2012

Wk1/Day 5- I am not a Garbage Disposal

Funny enough- the thing I struggle with the most in regard to mindlessly eating things that aren't part of my diet, is the tendency I have to finish off what's left on my children's plates.  Yesterday, I had to keep telling myself "I am not a Garbage Disposal". 
I believe that happens to me a lot in other situations.  I think "Dang it, I paid for those fries!  I am not going to throw them away just because I am full."  But it's not like I get a refund or prize for finishing them.  My body is NOT a Garbage Disposal!

My diet allows for 3 indulgences a week and last night I took it up on the offer.  Guess what I ate?  The choices in this house are limited right now, so the winner was salt water taffy.  My oldest was at a birthday party and his younger brother was very sad he didn't get to go.  So I told him we would have our own little party. 

We took some treats downstairs and put on a movie.  I hadn't intended to eat anything, but he kept handing me some as he sweetly divided out the spoils.  So I decided it was a party and time for one of my free indulgences.  I jumped on the internet to calculate how many pieces I could have for 150 calories (the free indulgence limit) and determined I could have 4 pieces of taffy. 

I picked out my favorites and knew typically 4 pieces would be gone before I could take a breath (and after the breath I would be reaching for more).  I knew I wanted to enjoy every bit, so I sat down and closed my eyes.  I ate slowing and deliberately and just 4 pieces of salt water taffy hit the spot.  I was completely satisfied.  However, I did have to get up and take the treat bucket back upstairs to keep myself from mindlessly reaching for more.  

After thinking on yesterday's post I realize I may come across as the picture perfect Dietitian that always follows my inner cues and only eats when I am hungry and always stops when I am full.  So here's the real breakdown. 

I eat because:
  • I'm hungry
  • It's in front of me
  • I deserve it- the kids have been naughty and I've had a hard day
  • It's yummy and I'm going to eat it all eventually anyway!
  • The taste of the last bite is still in my mouth and I inhaled it too fast to actually enjoy it, so I need another bite . . . and another!
I don't eat because:
  • I'm full/satisfied
  • Too busy- kind of forget to eat
  • Too tired- I just worked to fix something for the kids and now all I want to do is go lay down
  • I don't deserve it- Now this is a reason probably unique to me and probably requires major counseling or something.  
This diet is showing me more and more what triggers I am susceptible to, because it's making me stop and think "Wait, no!"

2 comments:

  1. You do kinda come off as the picture perfect dietician. Lol! I am completely willing to hand that to you too! :) All I know is if my husband could cook like yours...I'd be in serious trouble. I'm glad to know you're a bit more human than I think. I like your break down too. I'm going to make one of my own! I can tell you what's at the top of my list...Stress!! Any ideas on how to be more mindful of stress eating? Or how to avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the post I am working on today 9/22/12 about emotional eating. You're gonna love it!

      Delete