Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wk 1/Day 3- My Obsession

Is this normal?  Day 3 and food has become my obsession.  Every thought is centered around what am I going to eat next.  I live next to my point chart and every time I eat something worth points I run over to mark it off.  It doesn't help that I spend the off-eating hours thinking about my next dieting blog post!

Perhaps a renewed focus on healthy eating is good, but I feel like this much energy spent on thinking about eating is not a balanced thing.  I suspect that it will wear down as the newness of the diet wears off, but I also suspect that this is where "diets" in general come up short.  Too much focus on eating and not enough on living.

So I was just talking with a friend and warned her our conversation might end up in a blog post.  We were discussing our beloved full fat creamy ranch dressing.  We both agreed that low fat salad dressings are disgusting and not worth the calories.  Full fat creamy ranch dressing- definitely worth the calories.  So here we have a dilemma: lose points for good salad dressing, choke down gross salad, or not eat salad for the next 5 1/2 weeks.  Honestly, I am inclined to not eat salad for the next several weeks and that doesn't seem quite right.

This diet plan is actually well balanced in its use of moderation.  You get 3 free indulgences a week (provided they are under 150 calories each) and you can always eat whatever you want and take the hit in points.  However, I still feel punished if I choose to eat certain foods, because I have to walk over to my chart and write down -5 points.    

On a good note!  Here's what I had for breakfast.  Steel cut oats!  I didn't eat it with the mint leaves- they were just for the picture.  My chef husband would not appreciate that I used a garnish that did not compliment the flavor palate of the dish, but it looked pretty.  I also filled it up with lots more fresh raspberries- fruit points.  It was wonderful!

 And since I took a picture of my breakfast cereal, so did my son.  Too funny!

6 comments:

  1. Well, to be honest, I am totally a ranch person as well so I can understand the dilemma. However, there are some options that can still be ok. Some raspberry vinaigrettes (even if they don't specify with the word light) are much lower calorie, and still very tasty. There are also some great homemade dressings that are much lower in calories and still very tasty (I will look for a couple that I like and inbox them to you on fb. As far as the rest of it goes, I haven't ever been on a diet either (my lunch can testify to that.. but hey I am underweight and nursing), but from what others I know have said, meal and snack planning can be a lifesaver. Try to plan out the whole weeks worth of meals and snacks (or even just the whole day first thing in the morning), that way you know what is coming next and when without focusing so much on it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    Thank you so much for your ideas. As far as the meal planning- you're brilliant. Funny thing- as I am reading your suggestions I am sitting here nodding thinking "well of course". That's exactly what I would have told myself if I had been sitting in my own office with the same complaints. Isn't it funny how we sometimes need someone else to point it out to us? I appreciate your comments. Keep them coming, I am certain I am not the only one helped by your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I found that as a diet drug on I found myself thinking more and more about those forbidden foods. One diet I was on before I got married had me even dreaming about forbidden foods. After getting married I went on a completely sugarless and white flourless diet. I lost weight. Had a ton more energy, but it was so difficult to enjoy myself at family gatherings and other things. I decided to relinquish on our first anniversary. A really high end restaurant with the most amazing dinner: bruchetta, creamy soup, salad with freshly made croutons that required to be cut before getting them on the fork, a perfectly done steak set on fire, and that cheese cake... oh my goodness that cheese cake! And that was the end of that diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to end a diet! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen I liked your comment "Too much focus on eating and not enough on living." I'm just starting at the beginning of your posts, and you may answer my question in later posts, but incase not I want to ask... Is it getting better as time goes? Have you found a way to balance your focus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been easier to balance real life and the diet, as time goes on. But I am getting more and more sick of the restrictions. I would guess most people quit about the 2-3 week mark. I would, if there weren't a cash prize at the end. I wonder if it will get better or worse on the downhill 3 weeks to the end of the competition.

      Delete