Friday, September 14, 2012

Wk 2/Day 12- Deep Fried Nuts- Are you kidding me?

 I was super busy yesterday working on web design for a secret project I will reveal sometime in the next few weeks.  Did you miss me?  Probably not, huh!

Thought I'd share a bit of new found knowledge with everyone in the way of a public service announcement.

We went grocery shopping at this wonderful store that has an enormous bulk bin section.  They have ALL SORTS of candy, but also different grains, beans, pastas, flours, nuts, etc.  I wanted to get some nuts for a snack since they aren't on the naughty list.  Debating between some smokey roasted almonds and just salted ones- I asked my husband which sounded better to him.

Him- "You can have nuts on this diet?"
Me- "Well of course.  They are just nuts."
Him- "But Honey, they are oil roasted."
Me- "Oil's not on the bad list- just butter and sour cream and other yummy things like that."
Him- "Do you know they are deep-fried in the oil?"

WHAT?!?

 

Later when we got home he asked me what I thought he meant when he said they were oil roasted.  Well, I thought he meant what any other human might have thought- lightly spritzed in oil and baked.  They are NUTS for goodness sake!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that our food industry deep-fries nuts to give them a crunchy texture.  Much more efficient then tray loads of nuts in the oven.  I recognize that a nut isn't going to absorb the same amount of oil as say, a Twinkie in a vat of hot oil.  But here for the public service announcement . . . Unless nuts specify "dry roasted", they are not what you think they are!

Did you already know this?  


There is a good ending to the story.  My personal chef/husband bought me some raw almonds, took them home, and oven roasted them for me.

1 comment:

  1. That must be why nuts use to make me feel so yucky when I was pregnant! I would use them to try to keep my stamina up at work when I couldn't keep any real food down. Nuts are high in protein right? I thought I was doing something good for my body... I should have figured it out by how they made me feel. Fats on an empty stomach. Blech :/

    ReplyDelete