Monday, September 17, 2012

Wk 3/Day 15- Nothing kills a party like . . .

Nothing kills a party like a person in the dinner group drilling the waitress on whether they can receive a discount on the meal if they forgo the dinner roll, which salad dressings are free from added fat/sugar, and whether they can have the cheese picked out of the Caesar salad.

This last week was absolutely no simple sugars week- an optional challenge which I chose to take on.  Unfortunately, this weekend, it also coincided with several family events.  I expected it to be difficult to say no to the  delicious treats and restaurant options, but was surprised that my resolve to meet the challenge this week made it easy to choose.  However, I didn't expect the emotional ride that would follow as I became the odd man out.

I lamely brought my own food into the restaurant to supplement the only dish I could find on the menu that fit the rules, soup.  I called my mom before family dinner and asked her to pick the cheese off a section of enchilada for me, before she baked it.  I quietly ate my non-sugared peaches, while the rest of the family ate birthday brownies.  It sucked!  

I am pleased to say I made it through the week and enjoyed peanut butter on my toast immediately after weighing in this morning.  Although I was strong all week against the temptation to eat anything containing sugar, I found pleasure in secretly planning what I was going to eat this week to "make up for it".

In fact, the deprivation was so overwhelming on Saturday, I made my husband take me to Subway for a sandwich all for me.  First, we responsibly researched online to determine sugar and white flour content of the different breads.  When we got there I ordered a foot long sandwich, with ham and provolone cheese and tons of veggies.  I had planned to take off the cheese and give it to my husband, but in the moment I unwrapped it, I just couldn't bear to give up the cheese.  I ate the whole foot long sandwich within about 7 minutes and, for the first time last week, felt satisfied.
P.S. I did have to subtract weekly points for eating the cheese.

My conclusion:  It was empowering to know I am stronger than my cravings, but my real conclusion is healthy eating is not restrictive dieting. 

And now, off to enjoy the brownie I swiped from the party last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment