Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wk2/Day 9- Activities of Living

Perhaps this is a pathetic way to get my exercise points, but as a busy mom, I have found it's my only practical way.  Most days I just can't find 45 minutes of uninterrupted time to do a 'workout'.  Even when I try to pop in my favorite Zumba DVD, I end up dancing around with a toddler on my hip (probably should get extra exercise points for that). 

So here's how I've been getting most of my points- walking everywhere.  Walking everyone to school to drop off the oldest, then walking downtown to the library, then home, then back to the school to pick up and then back home.  It works quite well for us, because usually 1 or 2 boys are on bikes/scooters, so I have to huff it to keep up. 

I think the world needs to focus more on activities of living, instead of the dreaded exercise, to be healthy.  In fact, the Fit in 6 program I am doing just gives points for time spent being active.  We as a group even decided playing red light/green light with a bunch of kids definitely counts for exercise points. 

Here's some other fun ideas for activities of living that I came across recently.  They come from the Intermountain Healthcare's Weigh to Health Program.
  • Take the stairs instead of the elevator
  • Walk whenever you can, instead of driving
  • Get off the bus/train a stop early - or park farther away and walk
  • Stand up while talking on the phone.  And if you have a cordless or cell phone- walk while you talk
  • Lose your TV remote control- Get up to change the channels
  • At work, use lunch hours and coffee breaks to take a walk around the building
  • Use the restroom on a different floor at work and home
  • Make social occasions more active- instead of dining out, go dancing, bowling, or hiking
  • Schedule walks before or after dinner.  Take the whole family
  • Turn weekends into activity days.  Go hiking, biking, or golfing- and bring a healthy picnic along
  • Create a "walking carpool."  Take turns walking your kids- and your neighbor's kids- to and from school
  • Get a dog and walk it twice a day (this one makes me laugh)

1 comment:

  1. Your boys would absolutely go wild if you guys got a dog. :)
    Our little girl would too. In fact she keeps asking for one. Besides you can't go outside and play with the cats, they just sort of become lumps.

    ReplyDelete