Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wk 6/Day 37- The Joy of a Full Swallow

I have been thinking a lot about the results of my mindfulness exercise with my family on Sunday.  My dad pointed out that his pleasure in eating comes, not from savoring something in tiny tastes, but in the joy of a full swallow Can you relate? 

I can!  For some reason waffles are something I enjoy swallowing in large bites.  I like the way it feels as it stretches my throat on the way down. 

Maybe you think we are strange, or maybe you totally get it.  However, during the mindfulness exercise with the apple pie (see yesterday's post) my dad dug his feet in a little.  He tried to savor the flavor and texture of a small bite, but said it just didn't do it for him.  He liked to take large bites and large swallows. 

I must say I spent too much energy trying to convince him to do it my way, because now I realize what I was missing.  I can provide suggestions where someone can pay more attention and find joy, but I can't alter what they find joyful!  

My dad had figured out what it was that gave him pleasure in eating.  It wasn't what I found most joyful, but the joy of a large swallow is what satisfied him in the end.  My attempts to change that, if followed, would probably leave him feeling unsatisfied with eating and totally defeat the purpose!  So instead I say "good on ya, Dad!  You have figured out what it is to find joy in your eating."

May we all take the path to discover where the joy is to be found in our eating, and then mindfully tune in to that which we find joyful, in order to find more satisfaction with the bounty of life!


2 comments:

  1. I have the hardest time recognizing that what makes me happy might not make someone else happy. You're absolutely right about your Dad--go for you AND for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband says the same thing--that he gets more joy out of being "overwhelmed" by a delicious food, rather than eating it slowly, in small bites. That's not how it is for me; if I eat it too fast, it's gone too soon, then I want some more. :)

    ReplyDelete