Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wk 3/Day 18- All You Can Eat Buffet

Last night we went out to eat at an all you can eat buffet.   I was way excited because I was mostly thinking about an expansive salad bar that most likely would serve lite-ranch.  I tell you, there is nothing better than a salad with all the fixings.  I was certain that this was a good idea, because with all the options available, I knew I would find plenty to eat that fit my diet rules.

When we got there, I was hungry and ready to find something yummy to eat.  As I wandered around with my empty plate, I couldn't help but notice all of the things I couldn't have.  Scones- NO.  Pizza- NO.  German chocolate cake- Naughty! 

My husband found me staring at the plate of cookies marked "sugar free".  At this moment, as I contently sit at my computer, I can't believe I was even considering bothering to eat a cookie that was sugar free.  But in that moment of deprivation it sounded pretty good.  Of course made with white flour and regular chocolate chips, I still would lose points- and a sugar free cookie is not worth that, so I passed it up.   

I went back to pile up the salad that I had so looked forward to.    Oh, it was grand!  Combination Romaine lettuce and spinach, with corn, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, kidney beans, raisins, sesame seeds (probably oil roasted- oops), topped with low fat cottage cheese and lite-ranch. 

After satisfying my hunger a little with a heavenly salad, I felt much better and could emotionally handle going back to the buffet for some roast, potatoes, and carrots, and some yummy squash.  I will admit, I got a piece of German chocolate cake and ate the coconut topping off with a little bit of cake for my last free 150 calorie indulgence for the week.  (Now I have to make it through the weekend without any indulgences- Hummm!)

Am I pathetic?  Or is this real?  The first week of this diet I felt empowered by it, but as it's wearing on I feel so limited by it.  I seem to remember a comment on one of my first posts indicating that as the diet wore on the feelings of deprivation grew stronger, so perhaps I am not pathetic- this is the path of everyone on a diet.  What do you think?  (Feel free to tell me I am pathetic- It's true)


2 comments:

  1. No your not pathetic. Next time use all 3 indulgences at once. Or say heck with it, and take the deduction!(write that Rx) Recognize that the point system is only there to hold you accountable - but ultimately your only accountable to yourself. You have to admit - knowing points were involved made you Think before you ate didn't it, that's all it's meant to do. Before this diet you might have said 'I deserve it' or not thought twice about it at all. The program is making you pause, ask yourself if want you want is worth it - if it is - go for it! The choice is always yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a perfect way to put it. Thanks.

      The key is paying attention and making a conscious choice, not just unconsciously eating- as has been my past.

      And I did take a deduction in points this week, because I emotionally needed to be a part of what the rest of my family was eating. I am glad I did!

      Delete