Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wk 5/Day 32- Origins of the Eat 2 Liv Program

Several months ago, I started a journey seeking nutritional truth.  I was frustrated over being bombarded with external messages about good foods, bad foods, super foods, evil foods, that even as a Registered Dietitian, I didn't know what to believe.  Can you relate to the feeling?

I have never been one to argue on topics of nutrition.  When someone has a differing opinion I typically smile and nod.  I usually would only open my mouth if they specifically asked for my thoughts or if I felt like something they are doing could be harmful to themselves or others.  It's usually better that way, people like me better when I keep my mouth shut.  But part of it was, I usually didn't have a strong conviction of my side of what we were debating. 

Again the messages of claimed nutritional "fact" were so jumbled around in my brain, I didn't feel like I knew anything sometimes.  Quite frustrating when I am supposed to be the one others seek, for guidance on eating.

I spent a lot of time considering what I had learned in school, what I had experienced in the workplace, and what current research was telling me.  I spent a lot of time praying and pondering to distinguish truth from error, or even "almost truth" from truth.  

This diet has lead me down a new path of experience and has helped me solidify my feelings on the topic of dieting.  I have come to some conclusions on healthy eating, that are based not only on what makes sense, but on what feels right.  

It makes sense that our wonderfully complex bodies are engineered with clues (cues) on how to take care of them.  We don't have to guess when we should feed them- they tell us- HUNGER.  We don't have to guess how much is enough- our bodies tells us- FULLNESS.  In fact, we don't even have to chemically figure out how to compile our food into the correct nutritional profile- it grows, in a beautiful variety, from the earth we live on.

My ultimate conclusion is human nutrition is insanely complex, but healthy eating is not.  Re-learning to read and trust our inner cues may be difficult, but that is where our focus needs to be.  Not on "what" to eat, or even "how much" to eat, but "how" to eat so that we are empowered to make our own decisions on what and how much.  Maybe that sounds a little scary when you aren't sure you can trust yourself with food.  But as the end goal, doesn't that just feel right?

The Eat 2 Liv program is based on just that.  Learning "how to" eat, so that you have the knowledge and tools to decide what is right for you.

Check it out, if you haven't already- Click Here.   And let me know if you are interested in participating in the pilot program running Oct 15-Nov 25.  Limited spots are available.  The program is conducted online, so you can participate from anywhere.



1 comment:

  1. Yea! I am with you on this and forwarding to my friends and family! what a great blog and I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete