Friday, September 28, 2012

Wk 4/Day 26- Points, Points, Points- Oh Geez!

Apparently points are a good motivator for me.  Well, apparently they are a huge motivator for me and I think I need some balance.  If points are my only motivator, when the 6 weeks are over, so are my good habits.  But, I'm not going to lie, I'm already planning my binge for the end!

You want some honest evidence that the points have become a little too motivating?

2 real thoughts yesterday:
  • "No my dear son, I do not want to ride bikes with you around the block again.  I have already gotten my 46 minutes of exercise and I don't get any more points for doing more than that.  In fact we will probably drive to pick up your brother from school, because with all of the block circling we did today, there's no point (literally) to walking over there."
  • "Thank you for offering me a strawberry.  It sounds good but what I really need is a vegetable serving.  Eating more fruit isn't going to get me any more points. (and isn't that what eating fruit is about?)"
Now, I did catch myself in this erroneous thinking.  I remembered that my call is for people to focus on the Activities of Living and not so much exercise or exercise points.  Certainly, joining my son on a bike ride for fun and enjoying a walk to pick up my oldest from school is LIVING.

P.S. I really was too worn out to circle the block even 1 more time and needed to get everyone some lunch, but we did walk to school later.  And stupid me didn't eat the strawberry, nor did I get up to get a veggie snack.  Lost opportunity on both accounts.


Here's what I believe will continue in my own habits after the program has ended: 
  • Exercise.  I've gotten into a good routine and have found a lot of enjoyment in a combination of cardio, strengthening, and stretching.  I have in the past primarily focused on cardio and 45 minutes of jumping jacks is a hard thing to stay motivated on.  Now I march around my living room with handweights or sit down and stretch, while I talk to my husband in the kitchen- It's been fun. 
  • Focus on a variety of grains.  Because I haven't been able to eat anything with white flour, we've branched out a little in our use of grains- steel cut oats, couscous (okay this is primarily semolina flour, but it's a least added some variety to our diet), and quinoa.
  • Fruit intake.  Since I have been buying more fruits to have around, we have been eating them more and I have been turning to them more often to satisfy a need for something sweet.  
  • Consistent Scripture Study. What a well balanced program to incorporate spiritual aspects into fitness.  It has gotten me into a good habit of really reading and not just skimming something before I go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I think most of us do that in some ways with lots of different things. For me it's "the list". Lately I find myself making a list of the most important things to do each morning. With a nursing newborn who spends most of the day in my arms, and 7 other kids who all need various things, I don't have time to do everything, so I try to make sure the most important are done.

    However, here is the problem. Some days I find myself putting extra "little" things on the list just so I can feel good crossing things off. Or when I know I should have a decent amount of time I do several small things so more get crossed off, and then when I only have a little time I don't do the big things because I know I won't have enough time to finish them. I have even found myself not doing things because they aren't on my list, thus nothing to cross off for that thing that would probably only take a minute.

    I think what it comes down to is that we all look for reasons to pat ourselves on the back, and sometimes ignore the real things that fall into the "living" category.

    I love your last bullet point, as this is the thing that I have found that helps me stay the most grounded and focused on the real things and not the unimportant. I struggle to take time for myself, but with nursing I have found I have a lot of it. At first I spent most of that time playing games on my phone but found it unfulfilling. As I searched for better things to do, I started spending it reading. Most of the time in the ensign. I now look forward to my breaks during the day where I get to sit back and just relax. I find it more energizing than anything else I could be doing with that time. What a great blessing we have in the midst of all the hectic that surrounds us as stay at home moms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just click like? Thank you Jessica for your thoughts.

      Delete