Monday, September 24, 2012

Wk 4/Day 22- Bathroom Scale: How I Hate Thee

What do you think it takes to become a foot model for a bathroom scale picture?  I promise these are not my feet.

I bought my first bathroom scale exactly 24 days ago (2 days before the start of this diet).  I have never owned one before that.  I had considered it, but always decided that I didn't want to know.  I felt I could tell adequately whether I was at a healthy weight or not, by how I felt and how my clothes fit.  And I didn't want to drive myself crazy watching numbers go up and down, up and down, as they inevitably do.  

I'm not going to lie, I did occasionally check my weight at my mom's or at work.  Gratefully, those occasional check-ins were able to show me a trend over time without the daily fluid fluctuations that will drive you mad!

I needed to invest in my own scale so I could track my weekly weights for the Fit in 6 program.  I figured my mom wouldn't let me borrow hers that long and I didn't want to pack all the kids up first thing Monday morning to go to Grandma's so mommy could weigh herself- That would totally underhand the lack of focus I was trying to bring to the whole diet thing.  Finally when my husband convinced me we could use the scale to weigh back packs for scout trips (I have 3 boys) after my challenge was over, I consented to buy one. 

I read reviews online trying to decide which scale to buy.  I mostly read the 1 star reviews, so that I knew the common complaints that people face with a product.  The complaint that my scale got over and over, was its lack of reliability.  People would explain that they weigh themselves one night and again in the morning to find they had lost 2 pounds "without exercising or anything"

I am sure most of us realize that over the course of a day you can gain/lose up to 2 pounds (perhaps even a little more) in fluid fluctuations.   But do you really consider that when you weigh yourself and congratulate yourself for having lost weight that week "without exercising or anything" only to beat yourself up the next week because you gained those 2 pounds back? 

I know these things and still I am finding loads of frustration watching the numbers go up and down, up and down.  I lost weight the first week, gained it the 2nd week (which was the killer- no sugar week), and lost some the 3rd week.


I must remind myself we lose weight like this


 And not like this













No comments:

Post a Comment